Sunday, January 29, 2006

Live From QuiXand Ranch

There's a line from a Don Henley song that says, "Like every young man, I had some things that I wanted to say. Ere I could begin, you know the world got in the way."

I used to think that line applied to me but these days I'm not so sure because I can't remember what it is that I thought I would say. Not that I'm not opinionated. And not that I don't feel pretty strongly that my opinion is the opinion. There are some pretty smart people, past and present, with other views and I just cannot understand why they don't see what I see, if they're so Godawful smart.

That's not really it either, though. I think it might be that none of it really matters in the big scheme of things. No matter what I say, or you say, or what virtually anyone else says, this war goes on, along with countless others that we've chosen not to care about. Earthquakes happen, cars crash, people lose their jobs or beat their children or jump off cliffs and nothing that I or anyone else has to say will change any of that.

Come to think of it, maybe that line does apply to me. Maybe it applies to all of us.

2 comments:

  1. There's another line that says that actions speak louder than words. What you say or what I say or what some genious says doesn't matter. Atleast not as much as we'd like to think it does. Even our actions won't stop most crashes, any earthquakes, etc., but our actions are what matters most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, have you lost your motivation? Apathy is always the first characteristic of hopelessness.

    Or are you just using irony to motivate the rest of us?

    Is it too egotistical to declare that no pathetic little world is gonna get in my way. Gosh darn it, I've still got something to say. If only one person hears it, it was worth the effort.

    So, what's this great wisdom I have to share with the world? That was it.

    ReplyDelete