Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Zen and Stephen Hawking


First of all, let me thank anyone who took the trouble to come over here after my exodus from OS. I really do appreciate it.

This past weekend I went on an awesome ride to the Oregon Coast. I’ve been on a lot of awesome rides in my day but there was something different this time; something else.

I had an interesting discussion with several of my group at the bar in Pacific City at the end of Day One. One of our fastest riders said that he does it for the adrenalin. I hope you don’t mind me being immodest for a minute, but I consider myself to be pretty damned fast too; just as fast as Mr. Adrenalin or anyone else I’ve ever ridden with, but for me, it’s not about adrenalin. It’s something deeper and more spiritual and that is what made this weekend  different from past rides

Maybe I’m a simpleton because reading Stephen Hawking’s “A Brief History of Time” is about as deep into physics as my limited intellect will take me. Ever since I read it years ago, I have pondered the relationship between speed and space and time.  I will admit that my understanding is rudimentary at best.

Recently I have been studying a book called "Total Control" by Lee Parks, the guru of high performance motorcycle riding.   I like things in bite sizes so my intent is to learn about one technique at a time, practice it until I really get it, and then move on to the next, so I have only studied the very first technique in the book.

I practiced that technique on the ride and once I got into the swing of it, I was absolutely amazed at what a difference it made. I was faster and more relaxed than I’ve ever been at speed yet more in control.   I can’t even imagine what else I’ll learn that could impact my riding as much as this has.

I know what you’re thinking. That’s great Cap’n but what does that have to do with Stephen Hawking? Keep your shirt on, mateys, I’m about to tell ya.

Riding fast in the twisties brings an unexplainable Zenlike connection to the universe. I have learned that some of the other fast riders feel the same way. As you lean and turn and twist and read the road and pick your line and really get your groove going, there is a oneness with the Universe that must be experienced to be believed.

Somehow, perhaps because I’m more relaxed, the Lee Parks technique took that oneness to a level I’ve never experienced before. As usual, there were three of us out in front of the pack and when we stopped, I could see in their faces that they felt the same way. I don’t know how the connection between speed and space and time works but I can tell you without any doubt that getting a fast groove going through the twisties is tied to it. Somehow.

People have tried to understand our universe for as long as there have been people. I certainly don’t know the answers and I’m quite sure that I never will.  I am also quite sure that what I sometimes experience on the motorcycle is related a part of it.

That is why I simply can’t not do this.

2 comments:

  1. Geez, David. Sounds like you found your religion. I'm down with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that an R.E.M. song, Mike?

    ReplyDelete